Training for Success FAQs
What is a Training For Success (TFS)?
TFS is a scheme designed by the Department for the Economy in Northern Ireland. The College provides TFS as an alternative route for those young people interested in a work-based learning route. The TFS programme is a two-year programme open to 16 to 17-year- olds, with extended age eligibility for young people with a disability up to age 22 and up to age 24 for those from an in-care background.
What type of training will be provided?
All those undertaking a TFS course will be working towards a vocational qualification at Level 1 or 2.
During the course trainees are expected to achieve Level 2 qualification in Essential Skills.
In addition to working towards a vocational qualification, trainees can obtain other qualifications to enhance job employability e.g.
- Personal and social development
- Employability skills
- Professional and technical skills
- Essential skills in communication, application of number and ICT
What about the money?
ALL trainees qualify for a non-means-tested Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) of £40 per week. Any benefits received by parent(s)/guardian(s) will not be affected by the EMA.
A bonus payments up to £360 is available over two years of study.
How long will it take and how much time is involved?
- TFS is a two-year training programme. In the first six weeks trainees spend 30 hours per week in college, then three days in college and two days in work placement until the end December. From January onwards it is two days in college and three days in work placement.
- All travel expenses above £3 per week threshold reimbursed by the College.
- Successful completion of the TFS Qualification is equivalent to five GCSEs
- Opportunities exist for progression into Apprenticeships or Level 3 Further Education programmes
The Training for Success programme cannot be taken through a post primary school. The College provides a full range of learning support and pastoral care for trainees. The College secures the work placement for the trainee.