Duration: 1 Year Full-time
Start date: 3rd September 2018
End date: 7th June 2019
Information Event: Y
This is a very exciting fast moving art and design course. The primary aim of this course is to educate students to make informed decisions which will facilitate their progression (primarily, but not exclusively) to appropriate higher education in art and design. There are three stages to this award:
- Exploratory stage (two units) - during this stage students will experience a wide range of exciting 2D and 3D media and processes, enabling students to develop ideas and understanding of various disciplines and the work of others.
- Pathway stage (four units) - students will be making their own choices in terms of methods and means of developing their ideas and areas of career interest in terms of their work, their portfolio and their Higher Education applications.
- Confirmatory stage (one unit) - will encourage independence in learning wherein students will be developing their own projects within a chosen pathway and be working towards their own Final Major Project exhibition.
To achieve the whole qualification, a student must achieve a pass for all units taken. Exploratory and Pathway stage are achieved at pass only. The Confirmatory is graded Pass/Merit/Distinction and constitutes the final qualification grade.
The primary aim of this course is to educate students to make informed decisions which will facilitate their progression (primarily, but not exclusively) to appropriate higher education in art and design.
This course builds on the students' prior experience. Skills already acquired are linked with ideas and challenges, which extend students' critical independence and enable them to demonstrate a full understanding of the application of art and design, relevant to progression opportunities and career choice.
Opportunities to take part in curriculum linked 'live' projects in Graphic Design (NRC Calendar Project), Animation Project (University of Ulster, Magee) visit museums, art galleries, practicing artists and designers studios, exhibitions and guest speakers.
All units are internally assessed and subject to external moderation by Edexcel.
- one Advanced GCE supported by three GCSE grades A* to C
- a combination of an Advanced GCE in Applied Art and Design or AS GCE in Art and Design supported by appropriate previous accredited achievement
- BTEC National Diploma in Art and Design or a Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Art and Design
- Mature applicants who wish to prepare a portfolio and develop the skills necessary for entry into higher education art and design and show evidence of aptitude for this qualification.
Applicants will be given the opportunity to attend a personal interview, which will enable assessment of the applicant's needs, abilities and potential to benefit from the programme and will need to show a portfolio of work which demonstrates evidence of having achieved a standard which will enable the student to benefit from the course.