Professional Cookery (Introduction) - Level 1
Start Date: 3rd September 2018
Course Code: C01041 BMF1A
- Further Education
Duration: 1 Year Full-time
Start date: 3rd September 2018
End date: 7th June 2019
Information Event: Y
Our course offers a hands-on approach that balances theory with the practical experience of preparing and serving food including the following units:
- Introduction to the Catering and Hospitality Industry
- Food Safety and Catering
- Health and Safety Awareness for Catering and Hospitality
- Introduction to Healthy Foods and Special Diets
- Introduction to Kitchen Equipment
- Prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching, steaming, stewing, braising, baking, roasting, grilling and frying
- Regeneration of prepared foods
- Cold Food Preparation
If you are accepted onto this course without a Grade C or above in Maths and/or English you will be required to complete the relevant Essential Skills qualification. This will be a compulsory part of your timetable.
To achieve Level 1 in Professional Cookery Diploma plus additional qualifications.
- Opportunity to achieve the CIEH Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering
- Essential Skills in Communication, Application of Number and Keyskills IT
- Opportunity to gain valuable work experience in our realistic working kitchens and restaurants.
Assessment will be a combination of multiple choice, written assignments and practical tests. There are 2 practical synoptic tests at the end of the year each lasting 3 hours.
Satisfactory GCSE profile and an interview at the Colleges discretion. In circumstances where there are more applications for the course than there are places available, the College reserves the right to ask for higher grades.
Diploma in Professional Cookery Level 2 or Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery (Food Preparation) part-time.
All full-time students at the Northern Regional College have the opportunity to improve their English, Maths and IT skills and gain qualifications. The qualification you take will depend on the qualification you already have. If you do not have a grade C or above in GCSE English, Maths or ICT, you MUST do Essential Skills. This will form a compulsory part of your timetable.Show Essential Skills courses