Computing - Level 4 HNC (Pearson)
Start Date: 10th September 2018
Course Code: C01738 MCD1A
- Higher Education
Duration: 1 Year Part-time
Number of weeks: 34
Start date: 10th September 2018
End date: 12th June 2019
Information Event: Y
Fee for 2018/2019 Academic Year:
The purpose of Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals in Computing is to develop students as professional, self-reflecting individuals able to meet the demands of employers in the computing sector and adapt to a constantly changing world. The qualifications aim to widen access to higher education and enhance the career prospects of those who undertake them.
Students will also develop a range of skills and personal qualities essential for working life. These skills will enable students to make an immediate contribution in the working world. Learners will study eight units, such as:
- Professional Practice
- Database Design & Development
- Mathematics for Computing
- Web Design & Development
- To equip students with computing skills, knowledge and the understanding necessary to achieve high performance in the global computing environment.
- To provide opportunities for students to enter or progress in employment in computing, or progress to higher education qualifications such as an Honours degree in Computing or a related area.
- To provide opportunities for students to develop the skills, techniques and personal attributes essential for successful working lives.
- To offer a balance between employability skills and the knowledge essential for students with entrepreneurial, employment or academic aspirations.
- All students will have access to free software provided by Microsoft through their DreamSpark programme.
- Guest Speakers.
- Industrial Visits.
• A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Computing/IT.
• A GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject. This profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades at A* to C (or equivalent).
• Other related Level 3 qualifications.
• An Access to Higher Education Certificate awarded by an approved further education institution.
• Related work experience.
• An international equivalent of the above.
Where mature students wish to have prior education and/or experience taken into account, in lieu of meeting the full course entry requirements, they should contact the relevant Course Director by 13th August, as an application deadline will apply.
.Please Note: If a course is over-subscribed the college reserves the right to enhance the entry criteria.
The BTEC Level 4 HNC in Computing will allow students to gain entry to the first year of computing degrees at the Ulster University and into the second year of Computing degrees at a variety of universities outside of Northern Ireland. This course is also suitable for students who have applied to the Ulster University to do a degree in Computing, but who were unsuccessful because their grades were not high enough.