Catering and Professional Chefs - Apprenticeship Level 2
Start Date: 2nd September 2019
Code: A00019 TAF1A
- Further Education
- Ballymena (Trostan Avenue)
- Course Information
- Applications for September 2020 onward will open in January 2020. For further information contact any campus reception.
Duration: 2 Years Full-time
Start date: 2nd September 2019
End date: 19th June 2020
Information Event: Y
Northern Regional College and Galgorm Resort and Spa have teamed up to offer paid Apprenticeships in the hospitality industry. Places are available on two exciting new apprenticeship programmes - Professional Cookery and Food & Beverage Service - offering a golden ticket to fast track employment and a rewarding career in the hospitality industry for people with the right personality and commitment to succeed. You will get an opportunity to ‘earn while you learn’ in the award-winning Galgorm Resort and Spa, one of Northern Ireland’s Northern Ireland's premier luxury Hotels.
You will spend three days in Galgorm’s award-winning bars and restaurants, where you will build your knowledge, competency and confidence in the working environment. The underpinning theory-based elements, such as the importance of customer service, communication and teamwork skills, food safety and hygiene during food and drink delivery which will be reinforced during your two days in College.
An apprenticeship in Catering and Professional Chefs combines the practical hands-on experience of the workplace with the knowledge and understanding and practical skills gained in the college classroom and work.
- Developing skills for employment in the Catering and Hospitality Industry.
- Food safety in catering.
- Health and safety in catering.
- Nutritional and special diets in catering.
- Kitchen operations, costs and menu planning.
- Applying workplace skills.
- Prepare and cook sauces, stocks, soups, fruit and vegetables, meat and offal, poultry, fish and shellfish, pasta and rice grains and egg dishes, desserts and puddings and bakery products.
What will I gain?
- Technical Award Certificate in Hospitality & Catering Principles and NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery.
- Good practical skills.
- The ability to work as part of a team.
- City & Guilds Essential Skills in Numeracy, Literacy & ICT (If applicable) City & Guilds Employability Award City & Guilds Personal & Social Skills Award
- Access to the Digital Learning Environment (DLE)
- Visits to Hotels and restaurants
- Guest speakers, e.g. professional chefs, hotel managers, Environmental Health Officers etc.
- CIEH Level 2 Award in food safety
- Competition Work.
- You will be allocated a personal tutor to help you throughout the course. The College also offers learning support and guidance.
Continuous assessment throughout the course and online portfolio building.
- You must be in paid employment at least 21 hours per week including college day release.
- You must be aged 16–24.
- Apply online and attend an information session.
- Take part in an aptitude test (if applicable).
Following successful completion of the Level 2 ApprenticeshipsNI you may be able to progress to an ApprenticeshipsNI Level 3 or employment in the field you have studied in.
All full-time students at the Northern Regional College have the opportunity to improve their English, Maths and IT skills and gain qualifications. The qualification you take will depend on the qualification you already have. If you do not have a grade C or above in GCSE English, Maths or ICT, you MUST do Essential Skills. This will form a compulsory part of your timetable.Show Essential Skills courses