Hairdressing - Apprenticeship Level 2
Start Date: 2nd September 2019
Code: A00015 MCF1A
- Further Education
- Course Information
- Applications for September 2020 onward will open in January 2020. For further information contact any campus reception.
Duration: 2 Years Full-time
Start date: 2nd September 2019
End date: 19th June 2020
Information Event: Y
What is Training for Success?
Training for Success is all about giving you the tools and the confidence to find work. It focuses on the extra learning you may need and like an apprenticeship the trainee spends most of their time with an employer – on work placement, typically three days per week. The rest of the week is spent at college working towards qualifications. The scheme is government-funded. We will work with you to choose the right level.
Unlike apprenticeships, those completing a Training for Success course are not paid by the employer providing their work placement. Instead, they receive travel expenses and a weekly Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA) of £40 which is not means-tested and bonus payments of up to £360 over two years.
At the College our training support officers will help you find your work placement. We secure placements for around 98% of trainees.
Details and Restrictions
Those on the scheme must be 16 or 17-years-old
Young people with a disability are eligible up to 22-years-old and those from an in-care background up to 24-years-old
What is an Apprenticeship?
As an apprenticeship you are employed as full-time members of staff and typically work for an employer four days a week. One day a week is spent at college, studying for nationally-recognised qualifications in the same profession as the apprenticeship.
- You must find your own employer
- Some employers may requir GCSEs on entry
- It might be possible to do an apprenticeship with a current employer
- You work all year round, but your College classes run from September to July
- Employers pay for the day the apprentice is in college, meaning you will receive a full-time wage at least in accordance with the national minimum wage
Details and restrictions
- Apprentices must be aged 16 or above. Restrictions apply for those over 25.
- Employers must be based in Northern Ireland
- ApprenticeshipNI 2017 part-funded through the Northern Ireland European Social Fund (ESF) and the Department for the Economy (DfE)
The Level 2 Apprenticeship in Hairdressing provides you with the opportunity to learn and implement the core basic skills needed in today’s hairdressing industry.
Units undertaken include:
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- Colour and lighten hair using a range of techniques
- Style and finish hair using a range of techniques to create a variety of looks
- Cut hair using a range of techniques to create a variety of looks
- Health & Safety
What will I gain?
- NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Hairdressing.
- Good practical skills.
- The ability to work as part of a team.
- City & Guilds Essential Skills in Numeracy, Literacy & ICT (If applicable) City & Guilds Employability Award City & Guilds Personal & Social Skills Award
- Access to the Digital Learning Environment (DLE)
You will be allocated a personal tutor to help you throughout the course. The College also offers learning support and guidance.
Continuous assessment throughout the course and online portfolio building.
- You must be in paid employment at least 21 hours per week including college day release.
- You must be aged 16–24.
- Apply online and attend an information session.
- Take part in an aptitude test (if applicable).
Following successful completion of the Level 2 ApprenticeshipsNI you may be able to progress to an ApprenticeshipsNI Level 3 or employment in the field you have studied in.
All full-time students at the Northern Regional College have the opportunity to improve their English, Maths and IT skills and gain qualifications. The qualification you take will depend on the qualification you already have. If you do not have a grade C or above in GCSE English, Maths or ICT, you MUST do Essential Skills. This will form a compulsory part of your timetable.Show Essential Skills courses