Hairdressing - Apprenticeship Level 3
Start Date: 5th September 2022
- Further Education
- Course Information
- We are currently not accepting applications for this course. Applications for 2023/24 will open in January 2023.
Duration: 2 Years Full-time
Start date: 5th September 2022
End date: 14th May 2024
Information Event: Yes
What is an Apprenticeship?
As an apprenticeship you are employed as full-time members of staff and typically work for an employer three to four days a week. One or two days a week is spent at college, studying for nationally-recognised qualifications in the same profession as the apprenticeship.
- You must find your own employer
- Some employers may require GCSEs on entry
- It might be possible to do an apprenticeship with a current employer
- You work all year round, but your College classes run from September to July
- Employers pay for the day the apprentice is in college, meaning you will receive a full-time wage at least in accordance with the national minimum wage
Details and restrictions
- Apprentices must be aged 16 or above. Restrictions apply for those over 25.
- Employers must be based in Northern Ireland
- Apprenticeships are part-funded through the Northern Ireland European Social Fund (ESF) and the Department for the Economy (DfE)
The Level 3 apprenticeship is aimed at those individuals who wish to build and develop their existing hairdressing skills. These are some of the advanced and creative units you will undertake:
- Contribute to the Planning & Implementation of Promotional Activities - plan an activity such as the hairdressing competition and implement it
- Creatively cut hair - creating restyle cuts including a precision cut
- Colour hair using a variety of techniques & Colour Correction - lightening hair and use of toners, resolve basic colour problems, creative colour techniques and corrective colouring using different types of products
- Creatively styling and dressing long hair - using conventional and non-conventional items and the use of accessories and added hair
What will I gain?
- NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Hairdressing.
- Good practical skills.
- The ability to work as part of a team.
- City & Guilds Essential Skills in Numeracy, Literacy & ICT (If applicable) City & Guilds Employability Award City & Guilds Personal & Social Skills Award
- Access to the Digital Learning Environment (DLE)
You will be allocated a personal tutor to help you throughout the course. The College also offers learning support and guidance.
Continuous assessment throughout the course and online portfolio building.
Please note that due to ongoing major campus construction projects courses at Ballymena, Coleraine and Ballymoney may be relocated to alternative suitable locations as required.
- You must be in paid employment at least 21 hours per week including college day release.
- You must be aged 16–24.
- Apply online and attend an information session.
- Take part in an aptitude test (if applicable).
Following successful completion of the Level 3 ApprenticeshipsNI you may be able to progress to higher education – HNC/HND/Higher Level Apprenticeship – or employment in the field you have studied in.
All full-time students at Northern Regional College have the opportunity to improve their English, Maths and ICT skills and gain qualifications. The qualification you take will depend on the qualification you already have. If you do not have a grade C or above in GCSE English, Maths or ICT, you MUST complete Essential Skills; this will form a compulsory part of your timetable. If you are planning to go on to further study (for example university), please check if a GCSE qualification (rather than Essential Skills Level 2 equivalent) is required. For those who have a GCSE grade D in Maths or English, we offer a GCSE fast-track course.Show Essential Skills courses