Sports Coaching and Development - Level 3 National Extended Diploma
Start Date: 4th September 2023
- Further Education
- Add course to basket
- Apply Now
Duration: 2 Years Full-time
Start date: 4th September 2023
End date: 6th June 2025
Information Event: Yes
Course fee: FREE (Eligibility criteria may apply)
£125 Irish FA Registration Fee and Kit (cost to be confirmed)
The Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Sports Coaching and Development is equivalent in size to three A Levels and offers learners the opportunity to progress to Further study and Higher Education. The qualification is mapped and endorsed by CIMSPA ‘Coach’ and ‘Safeguarding and Protecting Children’ professional standards. CIMSPA endorsement allows learners to apply for CIMSPA membership after successfully completing this programme, and is therefore recognised by employers as being suitable for entry to employment in the role of a multi-skills sports coach in the sport development sector.
- Careers in the Sport & Active Leisure Industry
- Health, Wellbeing & Sport
- Developing Coaching Skills
- Nutrition for Physical Performance
- Practical Sports Application
- Fitness Testing
- Applied Coaching Skills
- Research in Project in Sport
- Sport Development
- Self-employment in Sport and Physical Activity
- Rules, Regulations & Officiating in Sport
- Sports Pyschology
As part of the course, you will also have the opportunity to achieve coaching awards as well as:
- Active IQ Level 2 Award in Understanding Nutrition, Performance and Healthy Eating
- Active IQ Level 2 Award in Safeguarding and Protecting Children and Young People in Sport and Active Leisure
Optional Irish FA qualifications:
- Futsal Introductory Award
- Grassroots Introductory Award
- Football Fundamentals
- Level 1 Coaching Award
- Futsal Referee Award
- Futsal Level 1
- Full Referee Award
- Football for All Workshop
- OCN Level 2 in Football Business
- IFA Roles Volunteers and Staff
- Show Racism the Red Card
- Coaching Disabled Footballers
If you are accepted onto this course without a Grade C or above in Maths and/or English you will be required to complete the relevant Essential Skills qualification. This will be a compulsory part of your timetable.
This course will entail completing an AccessNI.
- To provide the necessary knowledge and skills to gain employment in the wide variety of Sports Careers.
- To investigate also the breadth of the Sports Industry, from Health and Fitness; Coaching Teaching and Instruction; Sports Therapy; Health Promotion; Sports Development; Countryside Recreation and Outdoor Pursuits.
- To establish a basis, through appropriate achievement, for continuing education and career development. A Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma is a practical workrelated course. You learn by completing projects and assignments which are based on realistic workplace activities and demands.
- Recognised coaching qualifications in a variety of sporting disciplines.
- Visits, guest speakers and involvement in local Sports Development Projects.
- Team building residentials.
Continuous Assessment through assignments and practical activities.
Applicants should have at least 4 GCSEs at Grade C or above, or other relevant qualifications, or appropriate work experience. In circumstances where there are more applications for the course than there are places available, the College reserves the right to ask for higher grades.
Due to a wider choice of optional units, this course allows learners to access employment and self-employment in varying areas such as:
- Coaching in different tourist locations ie sports centres, leisure centres and/or outdoor activities centres
- Working towards delivering sport curriculum in schools or
- Working towards running their own coaching company.
Alternatively learners can progress to university or college to study a degree or a BTEC Higher National in subjects such as:
- Sports Studies
- Leisure Management
- Recreation Management
- Teacher Training
028 9085 5000
Admissions Send email
This course is also available in other NRC campuses.
All full-time students at Northern Regional College have the opportunity to improve their English, Maths and ICT skills and gain qualifications. The qualification you take will depend on the qualification you already have. If you do not have a grade C or above in GCSE English, Maths or ICT, you MUST complete Essential Skills; this will form a compulsory part of your timetable. If you are planning to go on to further study (for example university), please check if a GCSE qualification (rather than Essential Skills Level 2 equivalent) is required. For those who have a GCSE grade D in Maths or English, we offer a GCSE fast-track course.Show Essential Skills courses