At Northern Regional College, we work collaboratively with employers in delivering the job training and qualifications that apprentices need to complete their apprenticeship framework.
We understand that these are unsettling times for employers. Throughout lockdown and now as we work through the Covid-19 pandemic, our dedicated training support team maintain regular contact with employers providing support and guidance. We welcome the Department for the Economy (DfE) Apprenticeship Recovery Package for Northern Ireland that will channel financial support to local businesses to help the apprenticeship system respond to the impact of the Covid-19 crisis.
The Apprenticeship Recovery Package includes short term interventions which are targeted to reduce significant longer term economic impacts. These interventions aim to reduce unemployment and ensure that employers continue to have access to people with the skills and qualifications needed to maintain productivity, to grow their businesses and to assist in closing the skills gap, ensuring that more people have a pathway to better paying jobs.
More detailed information on the individual measures contained within the recovery package can be found below:
- Package of support available
- Apprenticeship Return, Retain and Result Scheme - applications due to open on 1 December 2020
- Recruitment of New Apprenticeships - applications now open
- Apprenticeship Challenge Fund
Apprenticeships are an effective and affordable way to provide training for your staff.
Benefits to your business
Employing an apprentice can provide many benefits to your business:
- You will be contributing to the skills need of the Northern Ireland economy - apprentices can fill any skills gaps within a workforce and can make a real contribution to your business as valued members of staff.
- Apprenticeships are very cost-effective way of training with apprentices typically spending one day in College and the remaining four days working. You will be required pay the apprentices a wage (at least the national minimum wage).
- Financial assistance - an incentive payment may be available for employers whose apprentices successfully complete their Level 2 and/or Level 3 ApprenticeshipNI framework.
- Transfer of business knowledge as well as building stronger relationships with your local College.
If you are an employer and interested in finding out more how you can employ an apprentice or upskill your own employees, contact:
028 2566 4266 or 07554 118467