Work-based learning is the term that is used to refer to courses, such as Training for Success and Apprenticeships, that provide you with real-life work experiences whilst applying academic and technical skills to enhance your employment opportunities.
Apprentices are employed as full-time members of staff and typically work for an employer three to four days a week. One or two days a week is spent at college, studying for nationally-recognised qualifications in the same profession as the apprenticeship.
- Apprentices must find their employer
- Some employers may require GCSEs on entry
- It might be possible to do an apprenticeship with a current employer
- Apprentices work all year round, but their college classes run from September to July
- Employers pay for the day the apprentice is in college, meaning they receive a full-time wage in accordance with the national minimum wage
Details and restrictions
- Apprentices must be aged 16 or above. Restrictions apply for those over 25.
- Employers must be based in Northern Ireland
- ApprenticeshipsNI 2017 is part-funded through the Northern Ireland European Social Fund (ESF) and the Department for the Economy (DfE)
Around 600 apprentices train with Northern Regional College every year and we’re expanding to include a broader range of professions. Apprenticeships are a popular way to learn skills, get qualifications and kick start a career.
Browse our Training for Success and Apprenticeship programmes below:
Barbering – Training/Apprenticeship
Beauty Therapy – Training/Apprenticeship
Brickwork – Training/Apprenticeship
Carpentry & Joinery – Training/Apprenticeship
Catering and Professional Chefs – Training/Apprenticeship
Catering and Professional Chefs - Apprenticeship (Galgorm)
Civil Engineering – Apprenticeship
Creative & Digital Media – Apprenticeship
Electrical Engineering – Training/Apprenticeship
Electrical Installation - Apprenticeship
Engineering – Training/Apprenticeship
Food and Beverage Service - Apprenticeship (Galgorm)
Hairdressing – Training/Apprenticeship
Health and Social Care – Training/Apprenticeship
IT Users – Training
Motor Vehicle – Training/Apprenticeship
Plastering – Training/Apprenticeship
Plumbing – Training/Apprenticeship
Apprenticeships are available across a wide range of industries and organisations. We have just teamed up to offer paid apprenticeships in hospitality with Galgorm Resort and Spa. Read full story.
For further information please contact:
Sean McAleese, Training Manager
028 2566 4266 or 07554 118467