Civil Engineering - Apprenticeship Level 3
Start Date: 4th September 2023
- Further Education
- Add course to basket
- Apply Now
Duration: 2 Years Full-time
Start date: 4th September 2023
End date: 20th June 2025
Attendance at an information session is required.
Course fee: FREE (Eligibility criteria may apply)
What is an Apprenticeship?
As an apprenticeship you are employed as full-time members of staff and typically work for an employer three to four days a week. One or two days a week is spent at college, studying for nationally-recognised qualifications in the same profession as the apprenticeship.
- You must find your own employer
- Some employers may require GCSEs on entry
- It might be possible to do an apprenticeship with a current employer
- You work all year round, but your College classes run from September to July
- Employers pay for the day the apprentice is in college, meaning you will receive a full-time wage at least in accordance with the national minimum wage
Details and restrictions
- Apprentices must be aged 16 or above. Restrictions apply for those over 25. (Age restrictions are currently under review by the Department for the Economy)
- Employers must be based in Northern Ireland
- Apprenticeships are part-funded through the Northern Ireland European Social Fund (ESF) and the Department for the Economy (DfE)
The programme is delivered over an average of one day per week in college where you will complete the vocational qualification. As part of your apprenticeship, you will also complete the competency-based qualification with a portfolio of evidence and onsite assessment.
Modules on the Pearson BTEC National Diploma in Civil Engineering qualification include:
- Construction Principles
- Construction Design
- Construction Technology
- Health and Safety in Construction
- Graphical Detailing in Construction
- Management of a Construction Project
- Site Engineering for Construction
- Further Mathematics for Construction
- Construction in Civil Engineering
- Principles and Application of Structural Mechanics
To provide apprentices with a recognised qualification in Civil Engineering which they can complete alongside their role within the industry with a progression route to degree and Chartered membership through the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE).
Assessment is continuous and based on work realistic projects. Assessment includes a combination of portfolios, coursework and two examinations.
Calling All SMEs
If you have less than 250 employees you may be eligible for funding for this course. Contact our Business Engagement Team.
A minimum of 5 GCSEs of grade C or above, to include English and a minimum grade B in Mathematics or equivalent.
Suitable employment within the construction and civil engineering industry. Contact the college for a list of employers who are currently interested in recruiting apprentice Civil Engineers
On completion of the apprenticeship programme, you will have achieved both the BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Civil Engineering for Technicians (Institute of Civil Engineers) and Pearson BTEC National Diploma in Civil Engineering
Completion of the programme enables you to be professionally recognised as an Engineering Technician with the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE). Students may progress to higher education to complete a Foundation Degree, Higher Level Apprenticeship or full time employment.
028 7963 2462
Admissions Send email
All full-time students at Northern Regional College have the opportunity to improve their English, Maths and ICT skills and gain qualifications. The qualification you take will depend on the qualification you already have. If you do not have a grade C or above in GCSE English, Maths or ICT, you MUST complete Essential Skills; this will form a compulsory part of your timetable. If you are planning to go on to further study (for example university), please check if a GCSE qualification (rather than Essential Skills Level 2 equivalent) is required. For those who have a GCSE grade D in Maths or English, we offer a GCSE fast-track course.Show Essential Skills courses