Construction Engineering with Surveying - Higher Level Apprenticeship (HLA)
Start Date: 20th September 2023
- Higher Education
- Add course to basket
- Apply Now
Duration: 3 Years Part-time
Start date: 20th September 2023
End date: 16th June 2026
Information Event: Yes
Course fee: FREE
Northern Regional College is offering a Higher Level Apprenticeship in Construction Engineering with Surveying. This programme has been designed to provide the construction and civil engineering sector in Northern Ireland with high grade technicians and professionals who have practical skills, combined with a higher education qualification.
The programme will facilitate progression from Level 3 apprenticeship and could also encourage future progression to Level 5 and 6 qualifications. The programme is also suitable for existing employees who are starting a new technical role within their company.
The framework covers a wide range of job roles in construction and civil engineering which broadly fit into the higher-level skills requirements for differing sectors.
As you progress, you will develop your skills within your role in the company gaining experience and real hands-on knowledge through the expert teams based in the business while you continue your studies at college on a day-release basis.
Meet the Apprentice - David Henderson
Meet the Employers
Companies recruit directly for this course.
This course is ideal for those who wish to pursue technical and professional careers in the Built Environment such as Building Surveying, Quantity Surveying, Construction and Project Management and Building.
Course content includes Construction Technology, An introduction to Building Information Modelling (BIM), Computer-Aided Design (CAD), Building and Site Surveying, Building Design and the Development Process.
How Can Your Career Benefit from a Higher Apprenticeship?
You will gain lots of valuable knowledge, practical skills and work experience as well as a recognised qualification - just the combination that can help increase your future employability, boost your CV and open new career opportunities for you.
Earn While You Learn
You will gain valuable work experience from your employer as well as gaining a recognised professional qualification and earning a regular salary.
This Higher Apprenticeship programme will allow you to start your highly-skilled career without the student debt that your university peers will have accumulated during their degree course - providing a real alternative to university.
All apprentices will be allocated a Workplace Mentor whose role will involve supervising their work within their workplace in addition to their College Mentor.
Please note from September 2025, all courses are planned to move to the new Ballymena campus at Farm Lodge.
- All Higher Level Apprentice applicants must be 18 years of age and be in full time employment in a relevant construction environment.
- All applications are subject to an interview and must satisfy the general entry requirements as indicated below:
- Applicants must satisfy the general entry requirements of GCSE English grade C and GCSE Mathematics grade C or University-approved equivalent, and passes in four different subjects, of which one should be at GCE Advanced level and three at GCSE level or an equivalent standard in an approved alternative qualification. Applicants should have a minimum of 48 UCAS tariff points.
- Third country nationals, including European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss Nationals and their family members, are eligible to undertake a HLA provided they have a right to live and work in the UK. See HLA page for further details.
- Where mature students wish to have prior education and/or experience taken into account, in lieu of meeting the full course entry requirements, they should contact the relevant Course Director or Admissions by 12th August, as an application deadline will apply. It is at the College's discretion to consider APEL enquiries after the dates stated.
In circumstances where there are more applications for the course than there are places available, the college reserves the right to select candidates from those achieving the highest grades.
Apprentice employment criteria
To be eligible you must meet each of the following criteria:
- Be a new employee in, or about to take up a permanent remunerative employment offer, including a specific start date and documented evidence from the employer of the actual job offer, or an existing employee in a new job role that requires a substantial amount of learning and skills development commensurate to the apprenticeship pathway. An exception may be made if an individual is already on an apprenticeship pathway at a lower level, with the HLA providing a progression route without the need for a new job role. It is the employer’s responsibility to ensure this criteria is met.
- Be employed by a company with a permanent base in Northern Ireland, and be contracted to work a minimum of 21 hours per week (which includes day release/off-the-job directed training) with one employer, and in receipt of the appropriate wage.
- Have the potential to successfully complete the requirements of the appropriate Higher Level Apprenticeship.
- Meet any health requirements, e.g. colour vision, specific to the occupation of their choice.
- Have achieved all necessary entry academic qualifications determined by the relevant sector for the Departmental approved apprenticeship; and
- Pass any entry tests specified by the relevant sector for the Departmental approved apprenticeship.
NOTE: you may start your employment up to a maximum of 6 months prior to the commencement of your off-the-job training. The College will require a copy of your contract of employment and a wage slip to provide evidence that you are employed.
On successful completion of this course and depending on performance, students may apply for entry to Year 2 of the following Ulster University Honours degree programmes:
- BSc Hons Construction Engineering & Management
- BSc Hons Building Surveying
028 2565 2871
Admissions Send email